20 Jun 2015 No Bake Sweet
The bases of these pies are made from blitzed pretzels, in which the slight saltiness and crunchiness contrasts beautifully with the rich, smooth toffee filling. The pies make a perfect after-dinner treat that guests won’t forget in a hurry! Serve with your choice of cream or crème fraîche.
M A K E S 6
1. Lightly grease the tart tins with oil and set aside on a tray.
2. To make the cases, briefly blitz the pretzels and sugar in a food processor to give medium-sized crumbs. Add the butter and blitz again, until combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the tart tins (about 75g each) and line the base and sides with it. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
3. To make the filling, heat the butter and sugar together in a medium saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Add the condensed milk and vanilla seeds and, stirring constantly, bring gently just to boiling point and then remove from the heat.
4. Pour into the firm pretzel cases, levelling the tops with the back of a spoon. Arrange the pecans pretty side up, all over the top of each pie. They look nice arranged in rings starting at the outside and working inwards. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight, until firm to the touch.
5. To serve, remove each pie carefully from its tin and arrange in the centre of a small serving plate. Drizzle the pecans with a little honey or maple syrup for a glazed finish.
Sunflower oil, for greasing
150g salted pretzels
150g caster sugar
150g unsalted butter, softened
150g unsalted butter
150g soft dark brown sugar
1 × 400g can condensed milk
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod
300g pecan halves
Honey or maple syrup,
6 individual 10cm round, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tins, 2cm deep