DoTERRA’s essential oils are a game changer for me as they have empowered me in looking after me and my families health and wellbeing naturally. The top 10 oil set was how I was first introduced to these incredible oils, and while my arsenal of oils has steadily grown, these are definitely my daily go-to oils. DoTERRA’s top 10 oils are: Lemon, Melaluca (tea-tree), Frankincense, Peppermint, Oregano, Lavender, On Guard (Protective Blend), Digestzen (Digestive Blend), Deep Blue (Soothing Blend) and Breathe (Respiratory Blend). Here’s how you can get started with your own set. Here are my top 10 things to do with these top 10 oils in Summer.
- Drink a drop of lemon oil in warm water every morning for a natural detox and cleanse. It is also packed with antioxidant properties and supports good brain health
- Take a drop of frankincense daily. Frankincense supports healthy cellular function, promotes relaxation and balanced moods, boosts the immune and respiratory systems, and supports smooth, healthy skin. Taken internally, Frankincense promotes cellular function and the health of the joints, liver, lungs, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, and urinary tract systems. New research shows that Frankincense may support a healthy immune function response and healthy brain activity. Add a drop to a capsule and wash down with water or take a drop under the tongue.
- Unfortunately cleaning is a daily task too! I make up a natural cleaner using half distilled vinegar to distilled water in my 500ml glass spray bottle. I then add about 6-8 drops of On-guard which is proven to kill MRSA! Oregano (which is a natural antibiotic) and lemon oil are powerful cleaning agents also.
- Lemon peppermint & lavender trio for seasonal allergies – combined they are a natural antihistamine. Put one drop of each in palm of hand and inhale, put 10 drops of each in a 10ml roller bottle and make up with FCO to apply to soles of feet, back of neck or down spine, or diffuse 2 drops of each. Nasal inhaler.
- Peppermint contains menthol, which has powerful natural cooling properties, so it makes for an ideal summer cooling spray. Using a glass spray bottle, add 1 drop of peppermint for every 25ml of distilled water. Spray on the chest or back of the neck or on tired, achy feet. Keep chilled in the fridge for extra cooling benefit. Be careful not to spray this in or around eyes. Do not use if breastfeeding (as it may reduce milk production or on babies under one as it may bring their temperature down too quickly).
- This also makes for an excellent bug spray. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and leave it wherever you want to ward off creepy crawlies. This makes for an excellent and refreshing ‘purefume’ too.
- Lavender is very effective for calming burns and so ideal for sunburn too. Adding lavender to the above peppermint spray, again about 1 drop for every 25ml of water (along with some aloe vera juice too if liked) will prove to be very calming, cooling and soothing on sunburnt skin. Again, keeping this mixture chilled in the fridge will prove welcome on hot skin. Alternatively, put 10 drops of each of these in a 10ml roller bottle and top up with FCO before applying to skin. Lavender is also great for calming and taking the sting out of bee stings.
- Melaleuca (Tea tree) has anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties making it ideal for cuts & scrapes the kiddos might get on their summer adventures. It will disinfect wounds, keep the area clean and help prevent infections. Use neat if necessary in an emergency or have a blended roller bottle ready to go using 20-30 drops of oil in a 10ml roller bottle, made up with FCO. This is also handy to have with you all the time for hand sanitising on the go (including after using the dreaded porto-loos at summer festivals!). Lavender if also great for assisting cuts and scrapes as it soothes and calms any stinginess as well as supporting the skins repair.
- Lemon makes a wonderful sugar scrub as it tightens pores and helps even out skin tone as well as being fresh, invigorating and brightening. So for smooth, glowing skin you can follow this recipe but use your lemon oil instead of the lime and peppermint would be a refreshing twist instead of the ginger.
- Deep blue is the soothing blend and is very effective in soothing muscles and relaxing the body after strenuous activity making it ideal for enthusiastic Summer gardening, playing, sports, treks or even cleaning! Again, dilute in FCO – using about 20-30 drops in a 10ml roller bottle. Massage into kids legs before bed time to relieve any growing pains.
- Diffuse 3 drops of lemon & 3 drops of peppermint oils for a morning energiser and lifting of moods. Many clinical studies have been done to prove that lemon oil boosts mood and reduces stress. Peppermint can enliven the senses and promote a feeling of energy. Diffuse 4 drops of lavender and 2 drops of frankincense at night to help unwind and relax. This is especially handy to have to help kids wind down after a day of Summer adventure.
- Ok so that’s 10 – but here’s a bonus one because this is often necessary all year round! Rubbing DoTERRA’s ‘Breathe’ oil into the underside of ones big toes will help alleviate snoring!
Words of caution…
Citrus oils are photosensitive and so it is advised not to apply them to any skin that will be exposed to the sun within 12 hours or it may cause burning in that area.
The properties of essential oils can be reduced by heat and so it is advised not to leave the bottles near a heat source or sitting in the sun.
Follow me on Instagram and Facebook @sharonhearnesmith for more of my up to date goings on – Links on my home page.